October is Pastor Appreciation Month. I am in charge of planning our Pastor Appreciation celebration at our small church and I’m always looking for great ideas!
What is Pastor Appreciation Day?
Pastor Appreciation Sunday is celebrated every year on second Sunday of October. Pastor Appreciation Day has been celebrated on this day since 1992 with a mission of uplifting and encouraging pastors, missionaries and religious workers.
This is my (just made up and sure to change) schedule for planning the event)
One Month Before
- Secure date for celebration
- Send out notes to all Sunday school classes with request for donations
During the Month Before
- Mail postcards out to church members (text those who have text messaging)
- Make meal plans
- Plan gift ideas
- Purchase special Pastor Appreciation bulletins at Mardel
During the Month Before
- Send reminder texts and postcards
- Purchase gifts
- Get gifts/cards ready
Here are some things that I would like to use/do this year:
1. Pastor Appreciation Bulletins
I have never purchased special bulletins for Pastor Appreciation Day, as I make our bulletins using Microsoft Publisher, and I just add a cute Pastor Appreciation clipart to the front of the bulletin. Our church is fairly small, so I am going to purchase a pack of special bulletins this year. I found some at at Amazon that are very reasonably priced, and since I print out less than 50 bulletins per week, I will have plenty left over for next year!
2. Dress up the Bulletin Board
I found the cutest idea on Pinterest for decorating a bulletin board for Pastor Appreciation Day.
3. Don’t Forget the Pastor’s Wife
We all know that behind every good man is an even better woman! So, let’s not forget the Pastor’s wife. My Pastor’s wife is such a blessing. She is so sweet, patient, and beautiful inside and out. She share’s her husband with our entire church and she deserves some love and appreciation too!
Here is the sweetest poem that I found. This would be perfect for a Pastor’s wife!
Links to more Pastor Appreciation Planning Resources
- Lifeway’s Pastor Appreciation Planning Ideas
- Pinterest – Pastor Appreciation Ideas
- Pinterest – Pastor Appreciation Day
- Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma Downloadable Planning Guide (pdf)
- Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma Downloadable Ideas Page (pdf)